Tuesday 14 July 2009

Day 3 ...ominous sky


I’m sitting here listening to Belle and Sebastian, Dear Catastrophe waitress and looking at a flat calm sea surface, its approx. 19 degrees and I can see the Orkneys to my left and somewhere in the distance the Shetlands to the right. Jaime and Neil hard at work changing the position of the flash for the camera. We have just had the most delicious spicy fish soup and I am happy. I am bird watching today also and cetacean watching: Today I observed, lesser black-backed gulls, kittiwakes (I think), fulmars, gannets, guillemots, Juvenile commorants and flying like the wind an auk, it’s a wee auk! For those interested in seabirds go to http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/features/seabirds.asp For those interested in Marine mammals go to http://www.seawatch.org.uk Or contact the Marine Conservation Society (MCS), even better still, try and take photos of the animals you find and email them to MCS. I’ve got an even better idea, join them. Just as we were out on the aft deck post safety demonstration, a sinister cloud cover was looming in the distance and I can say that I have never seen anything like it. We were moving into a front, one second sun, the next, wind picking up and the hairs on the back of your neck standing up as the rain begins. I have never seen cloud formations like it… Just at that point, two fins are seen ploughing through the water… I think what we seen was maybe pilot whale, however, a white stripe was seen on one, this would orca or white sided dolphin, or perhaps it had an injury … who knows!

No comments: